Trampolines can be an endless source of family-fun. But, are trampolines dangerous? The answer is that they can be. Due to the nature of this adrenaline-inducing activity, you must take extra precautions to create a safe environment for play and avoid a trampoline accident. After all, nothing is more important than the health and safety of your children. That’s why we have put together a complete guide to trampoline safety. So, if you are considering a backyard trampoline purchase or already own one, keep reading to learn all about how to keep your children safe while they enjoy bouncing the day away.
How to Create a Safe Trampoline
Purchasing a safe trampoline is only the foundation for creating a safe environment for your kids to rebound. Once you have the trampoline in your possession, there are several steps you should take to avoid mishaps and ensure your child has a safe experience. Here are the four steps to creating and maintaining a safe jumping environment for your trampoline and children.
Step 1: Proper Installation
Once you have the trampoline in your possession, safety starts with how you set up and install it in your yard. Placing the trampoline in a safe environment ensures that if any accidents happen while your children are playing, the risk of injury is as mitigated as possible. Here are the top tips for properly installing a trampoline:
Place on Level Ground: Start by finding a spot on the ground level and without too much variation. Trampolines placed on unleveled ground run the risk of tipping over, which could result in a trampoline related injury.
Safety Perimeter: Next, ensure that your trampoline is installed away from hazards such as trees, poles, fences, and walls. Ideally, you will want to have a perimeter of about 3 meters from all hazardous objects. This is to avoid injuries in case your younger children jump too high or fall off the trampoline while playing.
Fall Zone: To further reduce the risk of injury should your children fall, create a safe fall zone around the base of your trampoline. So, avoid placing your trampoline on concrete. Instead, opt for absorbing ground materials such as mulch, sand, or even grass. Otherwise, you may choose to purchase safety mats to place around the trampoline base while your children play.
- Check Springs & Bolts: After you set up your trampoline, double-check that all the springs and bolts are in their fixed position, securely attached, and tightened. Hanging springs and loose bolts may lead to unnecessary accidents and injuries.
- Review Provided Manual: Of course, you will want to refer to the safety and installation manual provided with your trampoline. This will ensure you have all the appropriate information necessary for the specific make and model of the trampoline you have purchased.
Step 2: Additional Equipment
In addition to setting up your trampoline in an ideal environment, there are additional materials you should install with your trampoline to create a safe play area. In some cases, these items may be included with your trampoline or available as an add-on option. Otherwise, you may have to purchase them separately. Here are our two recommendations for extra safety equipment:
- Safety Pad: While the dense metal springs are a necessary part of your trampoline’s construction, they are an injury risk if your child should fall on them. They can cause cuts, scrapes, pinching, and may even trip kids who walk too close to the edge of the trampoline. To prevent such accidents, add a safety pad to cover the springs, hooks, and frame in a color that contrasts with the trampoline's frame and jumping area. In addition, to prevent injury, the contrasting color can help your kids stay aware of where the trampoline’s edge is while they are having fun.
- Safety Net: Installing a safety net around the perimeter of your trampoline is a safety measure with significant results. These high-quality nets not only prevent your child from hitting hard components, like springs or the frame, but can stop them from falling off the trampoline or hitting the ground. When you purchase a net, look for one that is weatherproof as well as UV- and tear-resistant. Then, as you install the net, make sure it does not fall below the safety pad or cover the ground underneath the trampoline as this can make it difficult to see objects that may be under the jumping area, which is also a hazard.
Step 3: Rules of Use
How to use a trampoline may seem obvious enough, but there are actually several rules and guidelines that may not be as apparent. However, following these rules will ensure that you teach your children to be safe while having fun. Here is a list of the best practices for safe use of a trampoline:
Step 4: Maintenance
Finally, trampoline safety is a continuous process that requires attention to regular maintenance. To ensure your trampoline is one of the safest trampolines for kids, be sure to evaluate the following items:
Check the Surface: Start by checking the surface of the trampoline. The jumping area should be free from any objects or debris and have no moisture or snow on the surface. If it has recently rained or snow, you should wait at least 24 hours to ensure the surface has completely dried. Otherwise, it could be slippery as well as weaken the integrity of the materials.
Check the Safety Net: Before each use, you should also check the safety net for any tears or other signs of wear. Pay particular attention to where the net is attached to the trampoline as this is an area of stress for the net.
- Check Springs & Bolts: Lastly, be sure to check all the springs and bolts of your trampoline. This will become especially important the longer you have, and the more your use your trampoline as the springs may become stretched or corroded. In some cases, you may need to replace springs to achieve a quality and appropriate fix.
So, are there any safe trampolines? We’d say, of course, there are! However, they are only as safe as you are while using them. Just follow these guidelines to ensure you and your children safely enjoy your trampoline. At SkyBound, we have some of the safest trampolines for sale and best accessories to keep your little ones safe. Visit our website today for more information!